[FREE WEBINAR] Get Ready to Advocate: Housing Is Infrastructure & Shared Equity Is Included
Suggested Audiences: Shared equity practitioners and broader advocates
Congresswoman Maxine Waters (D-CA), Chairwoman of the House Committee on Financial Services, introduced a comprehensive and holistic legislative housing package to address our nation’s housing crises. This includes: (1) the Housing is Infrastructure Act of 2021 authorizing $600 billion in resources, which includes up to $70 billion that could be used for shared equity homeownership, and (2) the Ending Homelessness Act of 2021, which would transform the Housing Choice Voucher program into a universal entitlement program. Now is the time to advocate and signal to Congress and the Administration that robust and comprehensive resources for housing—especially those that can support shared equity homeownership— cannot be cut from the infrastructure package as it goes through the reconciliation process.
Review the webinar slides or view the webinar recording below for background information on relevant bills and instructions for taking action.
Please take the following actions:
- Endorse all three bills right now! Do NOT stop there.
- Get your networks to endorse all three bills - share this endorsement form. Please try to get organizations signed on by end of August.
- Conduct outreach with your Senators on Restoring Communities Left Behind Act to drum up co-sponsors (download script & meeting protocol here). Please send emails or call before August 20 and set up Congressional meetings by end of September.
- Contact your Representative’s and Senators’ offices via email and phone to urge them to sponsor the Housing Is Infrastructure bill, emphasizing critical resources that could support shared equity homeownership and community land trusts (download script here). Please send emails or call before August 20.
- Have your networks send emails & make phone calls to urge them to sponsor the Housing Is Infrastructure bill.
- Please also set up a meeting with their congressional staffers to urge them to sponsor the Housing is Infrastructure bill, emphasizing critical resources that could support shared equity homeownership and community land trusts (download meeting protocol here). Please set up Congressional meetings by end of September.
Need help finding the right Congressional staffer for your Senators or Representative? Email [email protected]
View the recording: